Peter and Paul Fortress is the birth place of our city. Hard to believe that this austere fortification complex is where the glorious history of our city started. Nowadays you can take a look at the 300 years of history from different angles:
- The fortress itself is like a town in the city. The first inhabitants of St. Petersburg were the builders and garrison of the citadel.
- Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral serves as burial vault for the Russian tsars starting from Peter the Great. One can study the Romanov dynasty.
- For a long time throughout its existence the fortress was used as a political prison. The former prison of preliminary confinement tells us the story of political opposition, intrigues, uprisings and terrorism in old Russia.
- The space exploration is yet another page of Russian history through the development of rocket technology in the USSR.
- History of St. Petersburg – Petrograd Exhibition located in the Commandant’s House is both entertaining and educational. Besides historic facts and portraits, the exhibition shows idiosyncrasies of life in our city at different times.